Millennials and Gen Z – Knowledge of Skin Health
As many of you already know, I am a Millennial. Because of my age, I tend to have many patients who are members of the Millennial generation and Generation Z. I recently read some interesting statistics in the journal, Practical Dermatology:
Gen Z Survey Findings:
- 42% are unaware that tanning causes skin cancer
- 41% are unaware that the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays are reflected by snow, water, ands sand
- 33% are unaware that they can get sunburned on a cloudy day
Millennial Survey Findings:
- 42% are unaware that the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays can penetrate clothing
- 37% are unaware that tanning causes skin cancer
- 23% are unaware that sunburn increases the risk of getting skin cancer
The American Academy of Dermatology recommends a yearly skin exam for all adults, even those without a personal or family history of skin cancer.
You can learn more about Apollo Dermatology’s skin care exams here.